The Down Syndrome Association of Southern Maryland represents a group of parents and professionals in Southern Maryland who share a vision for persons with Down syndrome.
It is a non-profit group that:
- Serves as an educational resource for the general public about Down syndrome.
- Provides a clearinghouse of information for families of those individuals with Down syndrome.
- Provides active social support for the families of those individuals with Down syndrome.
- Increase awareness and understanding of the physical, mental and emotional aspects of Down syndrome, and to expand the public’s conception of the capabilities and social value of individuals with this condition.
- Implements academic curricula to aid students with Down syndrome, and to provide need-based scholarships to students with Down syndrome.
- Encourages a public interest in and financial contributions to the study of Down syndrome, and to encourage advocacy for this condition.
- Provides need-based financial assistance for individuals with Down syndrome and their families.
- Provides, or assists in providing, medical equipment to individuals with Down syndrome who are unable to afford such equipment.
- Provides financial assistance for individuals with Down syndrome, their families, or other persons who wish to serve as advocates, who wish to attend a camp for individuals with Down syndrome or wish to attend a regional or national conference of the National Down Syndrome Society or National Down Syndrome Congress.